HONEY REMEDIES FOR SKIN CONDITIONS
Honey is known for it’s anti-microbial activity and in some cases it appears to work quicker than conventional treatments, particularly for burns and bedsores.
Rhubarb has been used medicinally since 3000bce, and with honey it helps to heal bedsores when a paste is applied to the affected area. Cook a stick of rhubarb until soft and strain the juice.
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp rhubarb juice
1. In a small bowl, mix the honey and rhubarb juice together.
2. Spread the paste on a piece of clean gauze and apply to the sore.
Research shows that burns treated with honey-soaked gauze heal twice as quickly as those employing orthodox methods, and scarring was reduced. Honey inhibits fungi and bacteria.
1 tbsp honey
1. Spread honey on a piece of sterlized gauze.
2. Apply the gauze to the burn, then secure with tape.
As well as being good at treating burns, honey also helps to heal sunburn. Used straight from the refrigerator, this cream makes a very soothing after-sun treatment, applied to affected areas. Any redness will be calmed by the anti-inflammatory properties of the aloe vera, which also acts as an analgesic.
4 tsp beeswax granules
4 tbsp honey
2 tsp aloe vera or wheat germ oil
1. Put the beeswax granules with the honey and aloe vera gel or oil in a warmed bowl.
2. Stir well to mix and, if necessary, warm again in a double boiler to melt the beeswax. Transfer the mixture to a wide-necked jar and gently smooth on to skin to soothe sunburn.
Because honey is rich in sugar, vitamins, mineral and enzymes including inhibine, which helps to prevent infection, it can be used as an antibiotic ointment for wounds. A research trial published in the British Journal of Plastic Surgery proved that as germs did not survive in honey, it proved to be a faster wound healer than a specifically trialled hospital product.
1 tsp honey
1. Soak cotton balls in water, then use them to clean the wound. Hold them in tongs to keep sterile.
2. Use a cotton ball to apply honey to the wound. Cover the area with a sterile wrap followed by a bandage. Check the next day and replace if necessary.